Canto XVII, Paradisio








Tu proverai sì come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come è duro calle
lo scendere e’l salir per l’altrui scale.

You will experience how salty tastes the bread

of another, and what a hard path it is to descend
and mount by another's stair.

-Canto XVII, Paradisio


Monday, July 25, 2011

God talk

Following in the wake of the poet.
Paradiso starts out fast and furious-and our discussions today followed suit. Like a stern athletic trainer, Dante expects us to keep up with his increasingly layered and systemized way of talking about justice, spiritual salvation and God. It was breathtaking and exhausting-just like running a race.

"Nel ciel che più de la sua luce prende fu' io, e vidi cose che ridire nè sa nè può chi di là sù discende, perchè appressando sè al suo disire nostro intelletto si profonda tanto che dietro la memoria non può ire." Paradiso 1: 4-9
"In the heaven that receives most of his light have I been, and I have seen things that one who comes down from there cannot remember and cannot utter, for as it draws neear to its desire, our intellect goes so deep that the memory cannot follow it."
"Oh good Apollo, for this last labor make me such a vessel of your power as you require to bestow the beloved laurel"
Paradiso 1: 12-14
I struggled with the task of staying alert as I read-it requires constant vigilance. Dante-poet advises us that the journey in this singing boat will entail not just reading but internalizing and analyzing. It reminded me in so many ways of learning and teaching in general. Foremost in the challenges is the theological language that Dante uses here. It has been a long time since I studied my church history. I know that Dante's earlier readers would have had instant recall for many of the controversies and doctrines upon which he draws to lay out his own vision of righteousness.

In stark contrast to the increasing rigor needed to read and digest the poem is the ease of daily life here. At home Rick is faced with taking care of my farm animals and the house maintenance that I usually spend much of my day on. Here I am responsible for feeding myself, getting dressed, and trying to use a new language. Gratitude is a central emotion, and with it comes a sense of wanting to bring back what I have seen. I wonder if this sentiment (though certainly tempered by different experiences) is in any way what Dante must have felt as he was writing. His love for his city and community and feelings of obligation to his art are so palpable.



No comments:

Post a Comment