Canto XVII, Paradisio








Tu proverai sì come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come è duro calle
lo scendere e’l salir per l’altrui scale.

You will experience how salty tastes the bread

of another, and what a hard path it is to descend
and mount by another's stair.

-Canto XVII, Paradisio


Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Paradise lost

Masaccio-1420-Adam and Eve in the Garden
This will be my last post from Siena, barring a late-night burst of energy. Our final dinner is this evening and we will meet tomorrow for our last reading of the poem. I am three Cantos from the end-trying to linger and prolong the experience.

I plan to smooth out some of my posts as I continue reading at home. In addition I still have some dinners to blog about!  The above picture was taken this past Saturday at the  Brancacci Chapel in Sta. Maria de Carmine, Florence. Like many of my experiences here, this one was unexpected. We walked into the tiny chapel and there it was-a gloriously beautiful chapel that we had almost to ourselves. It is a reminder as well that I will be finding treasures like this for a long time to come-little text references that passed me by at the first reading-experiences not yet processed or fully digested to nurture future studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment