Canto XVII, Paradisio








Tu proverai sì come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come è duro calle
lo scendere e’l salir per l’altrui scale.

You will experience how salty tastes the bread

of another, and what a hard path it is to descend
and mount by another's stair.

-Canto XVII, Paradisio


Friday, June 24, 2011

arrivi-arrivals

Roma-Siena-Via Montanini, 101


The flight to Rome from Detroit was cramped but smooth. I was seated next to a woman who is the architect-on-staff to an archaeological dig outside of  Florence-wonderful conversation.

Three of my fellow Dante Seminarians were in Rome at the same time and we made the trip by train from the airport to catch our bus to Siena at Stazione Tiburtina. We had time to get a big slice of mushroom pizza to snack on. Yum!

Here is our group on the binari (tracks) waiting on a train.

The bus ride was long (almost 4 hours) but beautiful. Outside my window I tried to stay awake as the miles of agricultural land rolled by. Fig trees, espalliered pear trees, egrets and magpies jerked my nodding head up in attention. Alas only one small group of goats-but many sheep and lovely hilly farms.

Our bus stop was Piazza Gramsci. For those who are not familiar with his work, Gramsci is a favorite philosopher and social reformer of mine. You can find out more about him here: Antonio Gramsci

Lynn Kennison is the woman working as the administrative assistant, travel agent and general goddess of all things Siena with our seminar. We met her at the Picolo Hotel Etruria and then walked to our new digs. Below are some pictures-the apartment was owned by the governor of Siena under Napoleon. I am sharing the kitchen, large living room and dining space with four other women (about whom more later). Each of us has a private bedroom and bathroom. The kitchen is fully equipped for me to try my hand at some Italian meals to accompany our late night Dante readings!

In addition, I have wireless internet-which is why I am able to fit in this quick and rough midnight post (it is 11:30 pm Siena time as I write).
my room.

The view out my window

My own personal devil-just in case I miss Rick too much.

After a quick shower and change, we walked back to meet the others for a delicious dinner-vino rosso della casa (house red wine) and pizza-I had a white pizza with zuchini, porcini and truffles. We all shared the huge portions and brought back the leftovers for morning snacks.

Ron Herzman and Bill Stephany insisted on walking us to their favorite gelateria. I was too full to partake but here are some photos to give you a sense of the place.

And so on that note, I will close this post. Tomorrow I have plans to do a short run/walk early before our first session.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it there OK. Siena looks great. Have fun! Love
    El Cabrero

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to skype with you. Hope you bring back some great recipes. I plan to bring back some from Mexico. I see some great dinner parties in the making.

    ReplyDelete