Canto XVII, Paradisio








Tu proverai sì come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come è duro calle
lo scendere e’l salir per l’altrui scale.

You will experience how salty tastes the bread

of another, and what a hard path it is to descend
and mount by another's stair.

-Canto XVII, Paradisio


Friday, June 24, 2011

il viaggio

The airport in Charleston, WV is a safe and homey place to begin a journey. Similar to the Burlington airport in my home state of Vermont, the entire airport takes up less space than most city office buildings-certainly not any dark woods dread here. This morning I followed my routine-woke early and had my first cup of coffee in the barn with the goats, walked the 2 miles (to the end of our road and back) with Rick and the dogs, weeded in the garden and ran 4 miles with Edith. It has just begun to hit me that I am embarking on a momentous journey. Still, even in the midst of routine, I was more attentive to the signs and surprises along the way: a little green heron flying up and traveling parallel to me on the run, the oily slither of a skink crossing the hot road ahead of me, a quick black snake. And the coffee in my husband's company was more aromatic, lively and comforting this morning.

I will try to keep my eyes and heart wide open as I experience Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment