Canto XVII, Paradisio








Tu proverai sì come sa di sale
lo pane altrui, e come è duro calle
lo scendere e’l salir per l’altrui scale.

You will experience how salty tastes the bread

of another, and what a hard path it is to descend
and mount by another's stair.

-Canto XVII, Paradisio


Monday, June 27, 2011

Inferno, Canto I-4

Then was the fear a little quieted that in the lake
of my heart had lasted through the night I passed
with so much anguish. Inferno Canto 1:19-21 
Today we began the formal work of our seminar-the line crawl through each of the Cantos that comprise Dante's  Commedia.  The group is 16 of the most brilliant people you could meet, shepherded by two people for whom superlatives completely fail me. I was intimidated by this day.

But my fear dissolved into excitement and overwhelming joy as I heard the first lines of the Inferno  read aloud this morning in our classroom. To hear these words, in this setting, and amongst these people is indeed a gift. 

Those of you familiar with the poem know that it details Dante's journey through Hell and Purgatory with his guide Virgil, and finally to Paradise. It is a poem that was written almost 700 years ago and yet it appeals to us even now. Part of the appeal for me is the fact that Dante invites us along on the pilgrimage. I hope I can include a couple of reflections each few days in this blog. 

Food- Italy is a cornucopia of food. In the past few days I have had cheeses, sliced meats and breads that defy imagination. Today I was able to squeeze in my first visit to the supermarket. For anyone who has ever shopped or eaten in a new land, you will understand how much of an adventure this is. I planned to buy only enough for the next few days-this is how most people shop in Europe and Latin America and, as the market is only across the street from my apartment, I am able to follow suit. 

Our market is a traditional supermarket-not open air. The aisles are much less crowded with competing brands and it is far easier to get what you want AND need (maybe the Rolling Stones have never eaten in Italy?) That said, it sure was hard to resist overindulging in the sliced meats, cheeses and fresh seafood (not to mention the wine). 

The other type of nourishment has been the city itself. My brief posts do no justice at all to laying this out for the reader. This afternoon I was able to walk around our neighborhood and do mundane (but still fun) tasks. I found the recycling bins (every neighborhood has large public receptacles for glass, plastic, compost and non-recyclables), some ATM machines, and several places to wash your hands in public fountains. 

Tomorrow I will try to post more about the Palio as it is another of the foods that I am consuming now-the food of traditions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment